View Single Post
Old April 16, 2012, 03:05 PM   #16
Japle

Quote:
Posted by Aguila Blanca:
If the above is an example of the advice in the book, I think I'll keep the money in my pocket.

I'm a senior citizen with medical issues. Anyone under the age of about 70 who takes a swing at me is sufficiently a threat for me to fear death or serious bodily injury. What the assailant's intentions are don't enter into the equation. I am the victim, and the way the law reads, if [b]I[/i] reasonably fear death or serious bodily injury, I can defend myself with lethal force. Whether or not he is unarmed is also immaterial. A single punch can kill you or turn you into a permanent vegetable.

Keep your book. It's worthless.

Posted by Frank Ettin:
Perhaps Mr. Gutmarcher explains it all a little more artfully and in greater depth than it's been paraphrased.
Of course that’s the case. I’m not about to type out everything Mr. Gutmacher says on the subject, including the “disparity of force” issue.

In addition, what you think is reasonable and what a jury (most of whom know nothing about the law they haven’t learned from “Miami Vice “ reruns) will think is reasonable may be two very different things. If a judge decides there’s enough question about the legality of your actions to let it go to a jury, you’d better have a bunch of spare change in your jeans

Page generated in 0.02317 seconds with 8 queries