View Single Post
Old September 20, 2011, 06:19 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
peetza, you are splitting hairs..... the point is the shooter does not know what is beyond his target, as in where the pellets will end up: there could be a herd of cows, a boy scout troop, or Barnum and Baily's Circus just over that rise..... a bit of scouting beforehand could have answered that question, though. Plan your hunt, people.

Splitting hairs, maybe, but the real difference is that I was where you're at with the assumptions about previous scouting.

I picture that the shooter in the scenario is familiar with his/her surroundings. Safety doesn't start with not taking a shot. It starts with KNOWING whether or not to take a shot. You can cost yourself a lot of good opportunities because lack of knowledge of the area you're hunting prevents you from taking shots that would be perfectly safe.

Not taking that shot is the right thing, at that moment. The "righter" thing is to KNOW if it's safe or not.

Still though, I don't consider "the ground over yonder" to be a "backstop". A backstop is something specific that you hit on purpose to stop the projectile.

Page generated in 0.03154 seconds with 8 queries