View Single Post
Old April 24, 2013, 01:37 AM   #25
Gaerek

No offense man danez, but I think my post went over your head.

With a gun, your gun, the gun you carry, as long as you keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready, able, and willing to fire, you will never have a negligent discharge. A negligent discharge would be equivalent to a "solo car accident." A safety on a gun has one purpose, to prevent YOU from doing something stupid. Follow that one simple rule and you will never have a "solo accident" with your gun, whether you have a safety or not (and it's a very easy rule to follow).

Now, let's talk about cars. Let's say the equivalent of "keeping your finger off the trigger" in a car is following all the safety laws (speed limit, stop lights, etc), staying within your lane, not tailgating, and paying attention to your surroundings. If you follow all of this, can you still get into an accident? Well, assuming all of those things will prevent you from being the cause of the accident (and let's just assume for a minute that they do), the answer is still yes, you can get into an accident. How? Because there are other drivers on the road. They are as much, if not more, of a danger to you, than you are. Again, using the analogy, "keeping your finger off the trigger" of your car, you can still get hurt. The seat belt and airbag will keep you from getting hurt, even if you are the most perfect driver in the world.

This is why your analogy fails. A mechanical safety prevents YOU from doing something stupid. An airbag and seatbelt help to keep you safe in case someone else does something stupid (and of course, in case you do something stupid too). By the way, if you're looking for something that's more analogous in the gun world to a seat belt or airbag, body armor is closer, since it will help prevent you from getting hurt AFTER something happens...just like a seatbelt or airbag. A seatbelt and airbag cannot prevent an accident. The only thing that can prevent an accident, is safe driving, or not driving at all. Funny, the only thing that can prevent an "accident" with a gun is "safe handling" (read: booger hook off bang switch) or "not handling." A safety is not a guarantee. There's nothing really in a car that's close to analogous to a mechanical safety on a gun. The closest I think would be the ignition. (Gun won't fire without safety off, car won't start without key in the ignition.)

In addition, driving a car is FAR more complicated than firing a gun. You lose your attention for half a second in a car, and it can be disastrous. There is so much going on when you're driving, and so many rules you have to be mindful of. When handling a firearm, there's at most 4 rules that you need to be mindful of, and they are easy to remember, and easy to follow.

If you feel you need a safety, that's fine, but it does not make the gun any safer. It still has the ability to injure, maim, kill. You forget to activate, or deactivate, as the case may be, the safety, and it could be one of the last things you (or the person in front of your muzzle) do. It's another thing you have to remember, and be mindful of. My Glock has no safety, and I'm well aware of that fact. I also know if I follow the 4 rules all the time, (google Coopers rules of safe firearms handling if you don't know what I'm speaking of) I will never have a "solo accident."

And to close, I'm going to be done with this thread. If you wish to continue, please PM me instead. I'd rather discuss it there, past this, than have the possibility of the thread being locked due to bickering.

Last edited by Gaerek; April 24, 2013 at 01:59 AM.

Page generated in 0.02971 seconds with 8 queries