View Single Post
Old August 14, 1999, 01:01 PM   #4
Paul B.

I dis agree that custom stockmaking is in decline. I just had a .280 Rem. built up with a beautiful Claro Walnut stock, jack O'Conner classic style, Fleur de Lis checkering, trapdoor butt plate, metal grip cap. This was built on a 1909 Mauser action, Lilja barrel, and much more. No engraving. I could have bought a damn nice used car for what it cost, and it wasn't even done by a super well known gun builder.
Dave Miller, here is Tucson wants $15,000 for his plainest custom jobs. Yes. I will get a plastic, (read black) stock for hunting purposes for it. Because I do not wany yo damage that fine piece of wood. I also like the stability, as I sometimes hunt some pretty wet country. (Try the Olympic Penninsula near Lake Quinalt at 400+ inches of rain a year.)
Back in the early 80's the IRS tried taxing custom gunsmiths out of business. They formed a guild and fought it. They are now allowed to make only a few rifles a year. If memory serves it was 52 guns. Any more and the "GUV" considers them manufacturors or some such. That is when prices took a humungous leap.
I don't think that people think black is "cool." I think most of them have been priced out of the market. Check around. I got off relatively cheap, because I had the components. All I really paid for was labor.
Just a point to ponder.
Paul B.

Page generated in 0.02877 seconds with 8 queries