View Single Post
Old November 10, 2011, 06:33 PM   #23
briandg

I definitely agree with keeping every firearm out of the hands of unhappy kids. I could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end. Really.

OTOH, the gun is nothing but a means to an end. I know a girl who was badly depressed, and drove her car into a bridge abutment at high speed, and when she came out of her coma, said that it was an accident. She opened up about a lot of things like that with me.

But, as mentioned before, I also knew a girl, maybe 20, who hanged herself, and another who took her parents' pills. My daughter was given razor blades by her grandmother, to use with art projects (Oh, come on!) and my daughter used them to cut herself.

Another case I know about, a woman came home after work. they have a barn. There was a strange noise in the barn when she got out of her car, and she went inside the house. Later, she went to see what the noise was, and her daughter's boyfriend had hanged himself there. The sound she heard was him kicking over the ladder. he was making a gesture, and expected her to go into a dark barn, not knowing who was in there, and rescue him.

Teen suicide is a terribly complex issue, and honestly, there really is no way to be certain that your kid can't get to a gun, other than have them stored off property. Unacceptable alternative, I understand. Even If you did move them all out, a suicidal teen will still find another way.

having children is a hard thing. Very hard. sometimes you can do all the right things, and it still winds up a nightmare.

Page generated in 0.02073 seconds with 8 queries