View Single Post
Old February 17, 2011, 03:19 AM   #1
sneasle

'Low' recoil deer caliber recommendation?

I really hate to stir up this kind of 'this round is better then that round' debate, but I'm looking to buy something higher power then my .22lr's for hunting and need some input.

My original thought was leaning toward .243 as I am a small guy and would really love to not blow out my shoulder. Yes, that's an exaggeration, but I've many of my Dad's rifles and I just can't handle more then 5 rounds out of a 30-06 before I've had enough. Maybe I'm just spoiled on being able to put 1000 rounds of .22 downrange in a single outing without having a bruised shoulder when I get home.

That being said, I started thinking about .243, but then I starting drifting toward something .270 ish and then up to 30-06 before coming back to .243 and now I'm getting fed up thinking it over and would like some other opinions.

What would I be hunting? I'm down in the South East and the only thing I really have interest in is deer. That being said, I do have family up North and out West and would love to have something that I could use if I go visit and get told, "Hey, bring your rifle, we'll go hunt xxxx while you're here!"

So, based on that, is there a lower powered round that you would recommend for me? I'd also prefer something that isn't exotic, I don't want to have to special order every time I want to go to the range, and would love for said round to be cheap enough that I can PRACTICE enough with it that shot placement becomes second nature.

Page generated in 0.02976 seconds with 8 queries