View Single Post
Old May 29, 2013, 03:48 PM   #21
pathdoc

What is the copy write data on Lee's second addition?

The Second Edition book in my possession is copyrighted 2003 and I actually don't recall Varget featuring in it at all.

I believe there is a Revised Second, current to 2012. The data card in my Lee Loader box is copyrighted 2011, so at least they keep those up to date. The useful thing about these data is that they advertise one scoop (as included in the .303 Lee Loader box) for both the 150gn and the 174gn bullets. What's even better is that the nominal scoop capacity is also smack-bang in the midrange for Woodleigh's 215 grain softnose (36 to 39.5gn of Varget or AR2208, as stated on Woodleigh's website). I'm congratulating myself on choosing Varget; the scoop size fits almost everything (except my 125 grain Sierra softpoints).

Using the data they give, and deliberately taking the sloppiest heaped scoops I possibly could, I determined by experiment that the highest charge I can scoop is two grains under the "Lee maximum" for the heavier bullet and three grains under for the 150gn. So if Lee are right, I am safe on the high side. The only problem I have is that inconsistencies in scoop technique mean I'm throwing significant undercharges, which ironically implies that Hornady's data seem to protect me on the low side. (But I will work on that.)

In short, it seems not-inappropriate to take a levelled scoop of Varget (as per instructions), toss it in the case and throw my Hornady bullet of choice on top, seated to the cannelure. I'm prepared to take my chances with the inherent charge weight variations for the first 20 rounds or so; if they're all over the place compared to factory fodder, it's back to the usual methods.

The Woodleighs are another matter; some of my highest throws are close to maximum for that bullet. Those charges get individually weighed. At least that bullet has consistent load data everywhere I've looked.

Last edited by pathdoc; May 29, 2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Clarification of context in the face of new posts.

Page generated in 0.02424 seconds with 8 queries