View Single Post
Old July 5, 2012, 11:58 PM   #5
jason41987

im not a big fan of the bullpup gimmick in general, the AUG, unlike most bullpups is well proven.. but for the most part its quicker to learn and difficult to master, so i do prefer conventional setups...

ive worked on rifle designs of my own creation, atleast in the design aspect, never made any prototypes yet... but what ive come to decide on is that all these designs of mine are best to be compatible with the AR-15 lower receiver for a few reasons... stanag compatible magwell, safeties, buttons, and levers in a familiar place, a massive pre-existing aftermarket, and an easy to find trigger group... it puts all the important parts youd like to keep in the design into the lower, so the action itself can be designed into a quick swap upper...

ive designed blowback designs, long stroke piston designs, different carrier ideas, ambidextrous ejecting, heck one design i actually designed a doughnut shaped piston that fit between two tubes mounted around the barrel for a long-stroke piston that wouldnt cause the barrel to whip and place all recoiling mass in a straight line with the barrel...

but thats getting way off topic... but i look at the ACR, SCAR, XCR, and they all seem to try copying in some way the AR-15 lower and try to offer a modular platform thats been present in the M16/M4 for decades so i just cant imagine these rifles offer anything you cant get in some aftermarket form to the AR15 itself

so i think the most logical choice would be to stay with the proven, even more modular AR15 with what i expect to be more aftermarket support than any of these other rifles will ever receive in their lifetime, and use the money i save to personally select the individual components i like, and build a couple extra uppers for it

i think for the uppers though, i want one standard M4 style upper in .223, direct impinged,

id like to buy an extra .300 AAC blackout barrel and bolt because this is a cartridge thats sparked a lot of interest with me, being literally the ballistic medium between .223 and .308, achieving .30-40 kragg ballistics...

and finally, i seen an AR-15 piston in which the builder had installed a long-stroke gas piston system with the recoil spring mounted over the piston rod itself, which allowed them to remove the buffer tube entirely, id like to experiement with this idea myself as long-stroke recoil systems are the only one i really think offer a real tradeoff over direct impinged, as direct impinged itself is essentially a short-stroke system anyway

Page generated in 0.02892 seconds with 8 queries