View Single Post
Old May 13, 2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Crosshair

Lee #4 buck mold not working so well

Well I tried using my new Lee #4 buckshot mold and i have to say I am a bit disappointed. I use Lee style aluminum molds exclusively so I'm familiar with their quirks. I wonder if this mold introduces some of its own.

I clean and smoke the mold like usual and go outside and start the furnace and preheat the mold. As soon as I start casting, WW alloy, the problems start. Most of the shot I cast has lead seeping out of the cavity in between the blocks. I try cleaning the mold, thinking there is something in between the blocks but the problem never goes away. It was happening in all 6 cavities, sometimes I would get a good cast and sometimes I wouldn't. I tried varying temps from 700 to 950F with no real change.

I eventually got sick of messing with this mold and bust out my 30 cal 2 cavity and start water dropping slugs for my Ruger GSR no problem. So it's not the lead or me, there is something with that mold that's not working correctly and I don't know if I got a bad one or what.

Anyone have any experience or advice?

Page generated in 0.03274 seconds with 8 queries