View Single Post
Old December 24, 2011, 08:14 AM   #20
8MM Mauser

"I have the same issue. Especially with large caliber centerfire rifle cartridges. I'll echo the resounding advice that dry fire practice is very good for you.
The closest I ever got to getting rid of the flinch was when I shot every weekend, twice a weekend this past summer. I was dry-firing a lot in between, and by the time I went to shoot, it was indeed- muscle memory. "

Wow. I certainly don't have the time or disposable income to practice twice every weekend! (I'm a full-time student, I work full-time, and I have a 6 mo old.) I try and make sure I get some dry fire in at least once a week. I will definitely make that an even higher priority, plus I am gonna add a .22 rifle into the mix as well, as soon as I can afford it, and mix that into my shooting.

I used to do competitive powerlifting, where very small changes in form can ruin your score (like lifting your toes when bench pressing, you don't have that lift added to your total, even if you put it up) so I'm pretty good at readjusting small things like that. Of course I lift weights 3 times a week, and it costs me nothing, so it's easier to practice adjustments.

"Your pushing forward with your shoulder while you pull the trigger. a lot of people does this something you have to work out your self. Good luck, old habits are hard to break. "

That is very helpful advice, because it is specific, I will watch for it next time I shoot and while dry firing, and try and mentally readjust.

"You keep practicing and with alot of helpful advice you're recieving you'll get there. And when shooting your rifle, don't heat it up too much. It can actually be right on and everything you're doing is correct but after it gets hot the barrel will act as though it's a wet noodle (the hormonics change) and you pattern will then go out the window until it cools down again. "

Also great advice, I usually try and shoot a group of 5, or two groups of 5 on two targets, and then walk the 100 yards, leaving the rifle on the table with the bolt open. Ironically, as the barrel of my rifle heats up I think it makes my shots go left even more, I think that because the first couple times I was out I shot about 20 rounds with the gun on a rest (I was out of the equation) and nearer to the end my shots were more to the left. Of course I am just speculating.

"A trick I learned in a class that worked really well for me was saying out loud "front sight press" until the gun went off. After doing that for a while I stopped anticipating the recoil. You may feel a little silly at public range but you should give it a try. "

I'm not sure what you mean by "Front sight press." Sorry for my ignorance.

"Focus on the target, forget the gun.
Imagine that the target is a deadly beast with only one thing on it's tiny, predator brain.
It wants stomp you into pudding, rip you limb from limb, and to eat you.
And you need to put 'em where it counts.
No kidding, this really works. "

Actually I often do this, but then I fall into my own mental trap of "acceptable accuracy." By which I mean, my shots aren't perfect or exactly what I want them to be, but they are well within the are that would incapacitate an unfriendly beast. I actually think that this is part of my problem, subconciously, I know that I want a higher level of accuracy mostly just for the satisfaction of it. However, I suppose visualizing the bullseye as say... a bear's eye may be helpful. Especially if I get that .22! I can imagine I'm having to defend myself from a bear with it! Then my shots will count!

"There are many techniques to avoid flinching. My favorite is to convince myself that the firearm is just an extension of my body.

With pistols I stare my eyes out at the front sight and forget that the pistol isn't actually part of my body.

With large caliber rifles I try to maintain form and squeeze the trigger having already accepted there will be a loud bang and a kick.

When I used to race motorcycles I used the same kind of NLP to some success. In blunt terms you need to fool yourself into relaxing and concentrating very hard at the same time.

IMHO there are two key components to in play. Muscle memory and psychological imprints.

Sorry to sound like a 2c Zen master. "

Shooting is very "zen" so no need to apologize. For some reason I find this much easier to do with pistols. I don't know why but pistol shooting feels more natural to me, I have definitely done more of it over my lifetime, 8MM Mauser is a big caliber compared to 9MM pistol rounds! and it is still pretty unfamiliar to me. Shooting a big rifle with a scope is so slow and "formalized" and I think I sort of say in the back of my mind "oh well, I could hit a deer...". Pistol shooting has always felt much more natural. Of course this may simply be a function of the distances involved, or the perceived practicality my brain attaches to the activity.

In high school I used to practice Iaido, which is a Japanese sword martial art form based around drawing the sword, cutting down multiple opponents and sheathing it. I did it for discipline and fitness 2 to 3 times a week, in addition to practicing for powerlifting (what a fit lad I was!). To this day when I pick up a sword it feels very natural, the movements, though I have not practiced them in years, are still burned into my muscle memory. What this tells me is that I need more practice, which for my poor college student self means way more dry firing and the acquisition of a decent .22lr rifle in addition to the Ruger Mk II I'm getting today. One thing I like about shooting is that it really balances me out mentally, running and lifting weights is fun, but it leaves me thirsting for more...

I really do appreciate all the wonderful advice fella's. With lots of practice and lots of help maybe I can start nailing those bullseyes!

Page generated in 0.03553 seconds with 8 queries