View Single Post
Old April 14, 2013, 06:59 PM   #1
tahunua001

Japanese disappointment today...

Bear season opens tomorrow. I've been dragging my feet finding a fitting load for my Arisaka type 44 carbine and finally got the chance to test my last ditch loads today. using 34.5 grains of IMR 4064 behind 140 grain Nosler Accubonds my loads chrono'd out to only 2,225 FPS, over 150 FPS slower than sierra's data and 400 FPS slower than hornady(apparently hornady is fond of 32 inch barreled test guns to make their data sound better than the rest). still, despite lower velocity than I had hoped, these loads still hold 1,000 FTLBS and 1800 FPS(minimum recommended velocity for accubonds) out to 275 yards, well beyond any shot I expect to take while hunting. also, despite lower velocity, these are tack driver loads. every shot I fired at 200 and 400 yards nailed an oxygen tank that my range has posted every 100 yards out to 500 so I am more than thrilled with the accuracy of these loads.

today I also took my type 99 out at well along with a box of Grafs brand ammo because... well lets face it, paying 9 dollars to shoot a handful of rounds is just moronic. the type 99 did well enough at 200 yards but consistently missed to the left at the 400 yard tank. chronographing also showed 2400 FPS, much slower than I expected from a 150 grain bullet out of a 30 cal. the aperture sights are also pretty terrible, I never thought I would say this but I would much prefer the mauser style sights on the type 44.
anyone know if it's possible to adjust windage on the t99?

Page generated in 0.03395 seconds with 8 queries