View Single Post
Old March 23, 2009, 08:20 AM   #8
OLNfan

Right on bro I hope you get what your looking for but I think I READ correctly and 100-150 pound deer? I took a quick peak at the xbolts I would get something like 270, 280, 308, 7mm those would give you your distance with out the over kill of a 30 06 or 300 win mag, In the end those calibers all do the same damage though, just enter and exit. I use a 6.5x5.5 swedish mauser thats been through ww2 but its since been spoterized and such. Its also a very flat shooter. I do suggest how ever picking a larger caliber oppose to the smaller-medium for other game such as elk, moose, bear. I have a 300 win mag, 6.5x5.5 mauser, 45-70 lever action marlin. all of which im able to hunt bear moose or elk with (obvoiusly with the muaser Ill have to use its max loads for elk and moose but not for black bear), which I suggest because bear hunting is just too much fun to pass up, alot more exciting than deer+ alot more meat. I do alot of farm land hunting so I have actually only harvest one deer with a rifle. The other 7 have been with my compound bow, or my crossbow. You want to get as much out of your rifle as possible and not just limitting it to one game, that way you dont have to purchase another if you get invited to go elk moose or bear hunting. Saying that the 270, 280, 308, 7mm will be able to harvest elk moose and bear but its just nicer to have a bit bigger chunk of lead. Im rambling now but! with those catridges your going to be shooting their max loads. where if you get a 300 30 06 or something you can go all the way down to a 150 grain and then say next week you go bear hunting you can switch to a 220 grain load. alot of versatility their.catch my drift? any who good luck Im sure you will be happy with what ever you choose!

Last edited by OLNfan; March 23, 2009 at 08:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.03328 seconds with 8 queries