View Single Post
Old September 24, 2000, 08:53 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Since I've experience in both deer hunting with slugs andf the tactical/HD/Police type stuff, let me add a few things to the thread about slugs. Like our learned Moderator says, try different slugs to see what works best for your shotgun.

We could take two identical shotguns with consecutive SNs off the assembly line, set them up identically, shoot them and find that the slug that groups best in one groups worst in the other. As a very loose rule,fully rifled bbls do best with a sabot style load, rifled tube and smoothbore bbls do better with either Brennekes or the older Forster type slugs,but it is a VERY loose rule.

On deer sized game, ALL are quite effective when placed properly. For Tactical/ police considerations, the Brennekes are a great penetrator,and have some worth for breeching.

Note:

A full rifled shotgun is more of a sspecialized sporting tool than a police/ tactical/HD tool. One loses the versatility that's a big plus to the shotgun. My deer 870 has a rifled tube in it for deer season, and either a Modified or SKT II tube when it serves as a backup HD shotgun the rest of the year.

Again, nothing but bench work can determine just what is best for you and your shotgun. Buy a variety of slugs in the 5 packs, shoot some groups,and figure out what is your tightest shooting slug. Set your zero, and then clean the shotgun w/o taking it down.

Also, is this a slug shooter or a buck shot shooter? If the primary mission for the shotgun is the use of shot, it may be better to zero for the shot, then figure out through benching where the slugs will impact. ALL shotguns I've checked have different POIs for slugs and buck, most impact buck lower than slugs. Again, no surety w/o testing.

Page generated in 0.02914 seconds with 8 queries