View Single Post
Old October 30, 2012, 06:54 PM   #6
Slamfire

After examining several design books, I am of the opinion that bolts and receivers are designed for an "infinite" number of load cycles. The load is the standard pressure cartridge the action was originally intended to use.

Conversions, such as Mauser 98 actions converted to 300 Win Mag, 458 Win Mag, these cartridges provide more bolt thrust than an 8mm and these conversions you would expect the bolt, maybe the receiver seats, to crack at some point. This FN action was in 264 Winchester and obviously something went wrong, probably hot loads and the additional bolt thrust from a belted magnum case.

One friend of mine has a 6.5 Grendel conversion using modified 223 Remington bolts in AR lowers. The 6.5 Grendel has a wider base and therefore produces more bolt thrust than a .223. Lug cracking is so common that my friend received two bolts from the gunsmith, one to use till its lugs crack, the other to finish out the barrel.

A gunsmith I used told me he had fired a Ruger M77 action so much he replaced eleven barrels. There was some lug set back, but not so much to make the action unusable.

Page generated in 0.03548 seconds with 8 queries