View Single Post
Old April 9, 2000, 10:37 AM   #11
skdtac

To answer the topic, for purely CQB, the MP5. It's more compact, and the muzzle blast is manageable.

Having said that, if forced to choose only one platform for team use, hands down it would be the M4.

You take a team that as used MP5s and run them through the same standards and drills with the M4, and you'll find the performance results to be at least as good if not better.

You extend the range of effectiveness another 150 yards.
You have less concerns about overpenetration indoors, yet you can defeat most body armor.
Better mounting options for reflex-type sights, not as high above boreline (more important at CQB distances)
You have last round bolt hold-open (minor luxury that I like).
Psychologically more terrifying to have .223 fired at you instead of pistol rounds.

The MP5 is for all intents and purposes an overgrown pistol, but it is extremely user friendly and it is easier to manage and teach than a pistol. However, on principle alone, I think that if it goes on the shoulder, it better be more than what's in your sidearm. Where the M4 has room to improve is its extreme blast indoors. If you've ever had an M4 go off over and behind you in an indoor exercise... don't even have to finish this sentence. Certain coms protect your ears during fire. Nomex hoods and Ballistic helmets will keep your scalp intact. Suppressors are always nice, but we all know the trade-offs involved. But after all is said and done, I'd still give the M4 the overall nod (and the MP5 can have the more mission specific niche).
Best,
Joe

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

Page generated in 0.03575 seconds with 8 queries