View Single Post
Old April 6, 2009, 09:35 PM   #25
gmatov

Sorry,

I should have reread. The "traditional" load is 60 grs. of BP under a 140 gr. round ball. Load is 50 grs. BP under the 220 gr. conical bullet.

Pps. 80-81 of Bates/Cumpston's book, "Percussion Pistols and Revolvers", co-authored by Mike Cumpston who frequents these Forums.

For those of you who think these things are on the brink, as to metallurgy, near a 150 years ago, in the South, copied brass framed pistols were proofed by filling to the muzzle with powder and fired. Many of them passed. Cylinders were loaded full, a 2 pound weight placed over the cylinder mouths, and all six touched off. Enough of these passed to be placed in service.

These were made of what was called "twisted iron", which I have not read the explanation of. I am assuming wrought iron, but not sure. This is 15 or so years AFTER the Walker, so assume that metal was better than in 1847.

Assuming again, and I worked in a steel mill for my last 15 years before retirement, that our lowest grade steel today is better than the best grade, then, direct copy, would pass any proof that they used. (Imported OR domestic rebar material excluded. That IS crap!)

Mad,

That looks like an old '60 cylinder. What are the circumstances of the accident, or is it a file photo from some where? It looks like one from an original. Possibly a museum or collector's gallery or one that someone tried to shoot with modern day fake powder. You know. Subs.

Has anyone here ever burst a cylinder, on a BP pistol? I can show you pics, or point you to them, in Keith's books. HOT .45 LC and .44 Mags.

Lots of supersteel thousand buck modern rifles, too. Sakos and the like.

Cheers,

George

Page generated in 0.03024 seconds with 8 queries