View Single Post
Old April 22, 2008, 10:45 AM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

Mindset - I've been in a recent discussion about whether guns should be allowed on campus. One thread is whether training is necessary for the campus carrier. The extremes are that given the risks of friendly fire casualties with a crowded scene, much training is needed. The other extreme is that the 2nd Amend. washes away the need for mandated training by the government. Blah, Blah.

However, in the course of the debate - the Tacoma Mall shooting came up as a point where the civilian shooter came to ill as he lacked the mindset to actually fire when he was justified. The Tyler, TX civilian was killed due to a tactical mistake.

I don't think either truly was intensively trained although they had some training.

Thus, if you want to do other than flee (an excellent recommendation) - you need to answer what Ayoob called the Question - can you efficiently take a life? Research on violence indicates that many times people freeze due to tension and fear. They cannot act.

Shooting at a paper target with your Taurus Judge and chortling may not do it.

To preach, the serious student of the art needs to train up through and included some serious FOF. As a FOG, I've seen folks just freeze solid in FOF and get killed. A so-called martial artist who proclaimed his ability to twist you into a pretzel with his Chi, ended up on the ground with the BGs over him. A woman (gender not relevant) froze while her woman opponent with a wolfish grin blasted her. She later said she couldn't do it.

That's more important than technobabble about rounds. Personally:

1. Get out of Dodge
2. If you fight, fight - don't dither as Farnam teaches.

Page generated in 0.02518 seconds with 8 queries