View Single Post
Old May 24, 2006, 01:05 AM   #24
djl4570

I have loaded many thousands of rounds of .45 Colt with AA#5 and found it an excellent powder for medium power loads in my S&W N Frames. The original free Accurate Arms loading guide listed a max of 11.5g for 250g jacketed bullets. I worked up loads for both the 255g SWC and a Hornady XTP using 11.1g. The AA loading manual that came out a couple of years later after I developed the above load lists a max of 10.4g, so while my load has proved itself safe and accurate in the guns I own; I do not recommend it to others without a disclaimer.

HP-38 is too much like Olin-231, OK for very light loads but not all that interesting to me.

I have put together some some outstanding loads using HS7 with data from Lyman #47. I don't know what kind of pressure these created but a 255g Oregon Trail SWC chronographed out of a six inch barrel at an average of 1086fps.

The next powder I am going to explore is HS6. On paper it looks a lot like AA#5 and maybe a bit slower. I'm only about half way through the last eight pound keg of AA#5 I bought so it might be awhile before I get around to HS6.

Bullets:
Oregon Trail 255g SWC
Western Nevada 255g SWC
Ike Paa (Bullets Bullets Bullets) 255g SWC (No longer in business)
Cast Bullet Performance 265g WFNGC (Wide Flat Nose Gas Check)
Hornady 250g XTP
Sierra 240g JHC (Jacketed Hollow Cavity)

I use mostly WLP and some Federal 150 primers. I compared primers some time ago and found the WLP's produced more consistent velocities.

Page generated in 0.03115 seconds with 8 queries