View Single Post
Old October 22, 2013, 05:17 PM   #36
hornetguy

Quote:
Something else I noticed. When I started loading for it a bullet would slip right in the neck of a spent case. I haven't loaded rifles much, but I don't remember seeing this in anything else I've loaded for including an '03 30-06, post '64 Winchester '94 & my 300blk.
That's what you want a bullet to do, in a just-fired case. It should slide in with almost no effort. If there is still friction, it means the chamber neck is borderline too tight to allow the neck of the case to "release" the bullet. If the chamber is too tight, you will see some scary high pressures with normal loads.
I would clean all the copper out of the barrel. ALL of it. What you are seeing on the rifling (rounded edges) could very well be massive copper buildup. I'd use a good copper cleaner and clean/re-clean until you get NO more blue on your cleaning patches. If you get ALL the copper fouling out, without question, and it still doesn't shoot, then you have other problems.
Sometimes badly pitted barrels will shoot better after a few "fouling" shots are fired, also.

Page generated in 0.03513 seconds with 8 queries