View Single Post
Old March 9, 2013, 09:43 PM   #199
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGutzman
Just another word dance... Seriously like the city cant determine the address of its own residence.... disingenuous in every way... It seems all these questions could be solved by the city without even involving the court...

I think in such cases if it can be shown that records exist that the city could have used to satisfy these questions and that they could reasonably be expected to be know or found, then some one should be disbarred... This kind of tedium gives the whole process a blackeye..
Not to derail this too much further, but . . . seriously?

Intuitively, it does seem like the city should be able to do "determine the address of its own residents," but that's only until you actually take a look at what records a city keeps. It's not like folks "register with the city" when they move in or out. I don't live in Chicago, but looking at my own situation, if I were a Plaintiff, how would my city "determine the address of its own resident?" It would have to go look at:
  • The phone book? Nope, I'm not in there.
  • My driver's license? Nope, that's a State record.
  • My water bill? Nope, that's not a city agency.
  • My electricity? Nope, that's a private company.
  • My cable (or TV) & internet? Nope, private company. (& could be one of several)
  • My lease? Sorry, another private company.
  • My real property taxes? No, those are County records. What's more, real property taxes will only show what I own, not my residence.

With the exception of the county real estate records, under what authority would the city request those records? Exactly how many places should a Defendant be expected to look to prove an element of the Plaintiff's case?

Page generated in 0.03665 seconds with 8 queries