View Single Post
Old November 21, 2008, 01:45 PM   #1
pinkerpv

Universal M1 carbine

I recently purchased an M1 carbine mfg by the Universal Corp out of Hialeah, Fl. They are since out of business. This carbine was mfg during the early 80s. the rear sight is an adjustable peep sight similar to the type found on military M1 carbines. The sight can be adjusted for windage but the locking mechanism is a detent and ball bearing. It is missing the small ball bearing to adjust for windage. The adjustment screw and locking nut for the windage adjustment are present, but the windage screw is stripped at the nut. It will not secure the Peep sight to the receiver.

The nut does not appear to have any threads, but the adjustment screw does of course with the exception at the very end where it fits into the nut. The threads at that location appear stripped maybe by design. The nut could be secured on the screw by locktight or some other glue/epoxy and only removed by a gunsmith when maintenance is required. However I would think that the sight would be more easily replaceable.

My question is does anyone have a universal model M1 carbine and any information and suggestions on how to fix the sight. i have looked on Numrich Gun parts and they have the type 1 and 2 sights available but not the type 3 which is the one I need.

Page generated in 0.02126 seconds with 8 queries