View Single Post
Old August 6, 2007, 06:23 PM   #33
Schamankungulo

The boattail , as noted is pretty much on par with the flat base inside 300 yards or so .. It maintains downrange velocity better due to less drag ..
It is pretty well noted that a flat base is more accurate ( tinier groups ) , my WAG on this is the flat base is bore diameter , and there fore has less chance of being off kilter leaving the muzzle ..
Accurate means different things to different people .. Even tho a long range shooter has the skills to put a flat or boattail , probably anywhere they want it , a long range shooter wants all the advantages he can get , therefore , the boattail , with less drag = more downrange velocity and less drop ..
In 99.5 % of hunting situations , I think it is a moot point as to which is better ..
Also remember that BC is directly affected by MV .. Your .540 BC bullet maybe .540 with a MV of say 3000 fps , go over or under and the BC changes up or down ..
I dont hunt beyond 250 yards or so , and I prefer the other BC bullets , ballistically challenged .. Gimme a round nose or a flat point any day ..

Page generated in 0.03453 seconds with 8 queries