Thread: Is this legal?
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2006, 07:47 PM   #28
deadin

My understanding is that when a manufacturer creates a receiver, it is registered either as a pistol or as a rifle when he files his report to the Feds. From that point forward it is as registered, either a pistol or a rifle, never to change. If registered as a rifle it must follow the rules of 16" barrel and 26" OAL. If as a pistol it can be any barrel length, but no buttstock. Anthing else will be either an AOW or SBR and will need special licensing (One may be able to be "remanufactured" by another licensed manufacturer. I don't know for sure) So having a short barrel, no buttstock and calling it a pistol doesn't necessarily make it one. Depends on how it started life.

I don't think you can "build" a pistol out of rifle (see above) unless you are a licensed manufacturer. I believe you can "build' your own firearm from scratch, but cannot transfer it by sale, trade, gift, etc. And I think the above rules still apply. (I would like to hear more about this.)

Some time ago I tried reading the procedure for becoming a manufacturer. All I remember that it was complicated, tedious and expensive.

Dean

Page generated in 0.03921 seconds with 8 queries