View Single Post
Old January 17, 2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Nickel Plated

NYC laws regarding "antiques"

Hi all, new guy here.
For a quick intro. My name is Boris, 20 years old, from Brooklyn NYC.
I have some experience shooting a variety of guns at a rental range in the Poconos. But I thought it's about time I get my own.

I figured a cap and ball revolver is a good place to start since it would be the easiest for me to obtain at the moment. However I am asking here for help first to make sure I understand the laws correctly.

Here is the NRA list of firearm laws in NYC:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYCCL.pdf

And the section specifically dealing with Antiques and Replicas of antiques.

ANTIQUES & REPLICAS

Exempt from permit and certificate of registration requirements
are antique rifles and shotguns incapable of being fired or discharged or which do not fire fixed ammunition or those weapons manufactured prior to 1894 and replicas for which fixed ammunition is not commercially available.
Also exempt is any unloaded muzzle loading pistol or revolver
with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system, or a pistol or revolver, which uses fixed cartridges, which are no longer available in the ordinary channels
of commercial trade. This includes replicas. A license would be required to possess these handguns when the ammunition necessary to discharge them is possessed simultaneously.

If I am reading this correctly, then rifles and shotguns don't need to be registered and you don't need to be 21 or older to own them as long as:
-The gun is deactivated
-The gun doesn't use cartridges (muzzle loader)
-The gun is made prior to 1894 or a replica of a gun made prior to 1894.

Muzzle loading pistols and revolvers don't need to be registered and you don't need to be 21 or older to own them as log as:
-It uses a matchlock, flintlock, or percussion cap to fire.
-It doesn't use cartridges
-You don't posses the ammo needed to fire the gun.

So living in Brooklyn, 20 years old, do not posses ANY sort of firearms licenses, I would be legal to own a muzzle loading rifle replica that replicates a gun from 1894 or earlier (not a big fan of these modern in-line MLs) and be allowed to own ammo for it. Also I can own any muzzle loading pistol and C&B revolver regardless of date of manufacture as long as I don't have the ammo to fire it. Am I correct?

Any thoughts on this from people familiar with NYC law? The NRA page says those laws are as of February, 2006. Anyone know where I can see a more up to date version? Since gun laws have a tendency to change every other week especially in NYC.

Page generated in 0.02632 seconds with 8 queries