View Single Post
Old February 21, 2014, 08:27 PM   #5
Sierra280

I was always skeptical as to how bad a fouled bore will affect accuracy. I clean my guns every time they get home from the range. Last time I went to the range, I sighted in, then practiced different positions. Sitting, kneeling, standing 10 shots each, all with some cheap old NATO junk (FMN 80-83), them got out a box of norma match and sat down at the bench. My first group was everywhere! So bad, I thought something was loose, couldn't keep 5 within 4in. Checked all the screws, nothing. Pulled the bolt and flipped the gun up to inspect the muzzle/crown and I saw black crusty nastiness all around the muzzle I could actually flake off with my finger (instantly staining it black). Needless to I won't shot any more of that. But I cleaned it (foaming cleaner and nylon brushing 2x, then wet patch-dry patch with Butch's bore shine 12x, then bore snake with CLP). Went out this afternoon, and put 5 under 3/4inch right off the bat.

Obviously this is an extreme example because the cheap lousy ammo (my fault) fouled my bore like crazy; with decent ammo it takes much, much longer to see a drop off in accuracy. I've routinely gone to the range and shot 80+ rounds with no noticeable difference in accuracy.

Page generated in 0.02971 seconds with 8 queries