View Single Post
Old October 24, 2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Deja vu

My Coonan is a Coonan Classic (or Model C if you prefer). It is there new guns they just started making about a year ago now.

I Find I can feed it any thing that is in the reloading manuals. (some times with the softer loads I have to use the 38 special spring)

*here I am running from memorie so please forgive me if I am slightly off, I don't have my stuff in front of me, I know they are close but may be off 1/10 of a grain or so. Please use your manuals when reloading do not use my post here.

My favorite loads all use h110. I like to load 110 grain Hornady JHP load with 22.5 grains of H110 because the crowds love it.

as far as accuracy I like 180 gr Nos over 13.0 H110.

All of these loads are in Winchester brass and with Winchester magnum small pistol primers. Both loads are lower end loads from the Hodgondon reloading manual.

My other load I like because its comfortable to shoot (on your hearing) is a Hornady 180 grain HP-XTP over 11.3 grains of H110. This is a nice subsonic round doing about 1000-1050 FPS from the Coonan (the Hornady reloading manual lists it as 900 FPS) . Again same primers and casings as listed above. Even though it is a subsonic load you still need hearing protection. It is quieter but the Coonan is a loud gun.

p.s. I dont know if the subsonic load would work until you have broken in your spring. The manual recommends 200 rounds to break in the gun. Of course that is just guessing I did not start shooting this load until after about 1500 rounds.

the only bullets that ever failed in my Coonan is the CCI shot shells because the slide breaks open the blue plastic and the BBs fall out of the end of the barrel.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...

Last edited by Deja vu; October 24, 2011 at 02:43 PM.

Page generated in 0.01936 seconds with 8 queries