View Single Post
Old December 4, 2001, 08:10 PM   #12
Dangus

Quote:
I just read another post of yours on another thread involving the homeowner standing on his porch and shooting a guy who was unarmed but not standing still as he was asked to. You backed the homeowner's response. So why is it okay for the homeowner to shot an unarmed guy who is not standing still but not for a LEO to do the same thing?
The LEO did not have a family upstairs, nor was he in his own home or on his own property faced with a potential assailant who was approaching him in what appeared to be intent to at least break into his house, if not hurt him as well.

The VERY important thing to note here is that the intruder was approaching him, NOT walking away. Also, the intruder was coming at him in the dark, this adds an element of confusion to the matter.

A police officer has a lot of equipment and backup at his disposal that makes a non-lethal takedown more practical anyway, yet in a situation like this, if the reporting is correct, he shot a man in the back for moving. He did not attempt to subdue him in a non-lethal manner or was assaulted in any way. He simply shot him for moving away from him. IF the reporting is correct, I consider that manslaughter at the very least, but considering the adrenaline factor of just finishing a car chase, I would settle for firing the officer. That is assuming the reporting is totally correct, which often is not the case.

Quote:
And for another question. When did trespassing become a capitol offense? As you said, life is dangerous and it doesn't give you the right to go around blazing.
Trespassing in and of itself is not a capitol offense, but a person rightfully does not have to retreat in their own home, and in my opinion, their own property. If they tell you to leave and threaten you with harm, and you approach them, you are commiting assault, and in some situations, assualt necessitates a lethal response. If an officer has a gun out and demands I freeze, and I approach him, I am endangering him, and thus commiting assault, and thus he has a right to stop me with whatever force he deems necessary. With backup right there with him, I do not agree that lethal force should be the first response, but an officer alone should not be required to take any chances in such a situation.

I twist the facts until they tell the truth. -Some intellectual sadist

"Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Page generated in 0.03514 seconds with 8 queries