Thread: Cap Questions
View Single Post
Old July 15, 2009, 06:31 PM   #5
AdmiralB

Quote:
even two examples of the same brand and model may very well have different nipples if they're made a few years apart.

What he said, and more.

I own six Ubertis, all made in 2008 with the exception of a 2007 Walker.

I also have three spare cylinders - one 1858, one 1860 fluted, and one for a Leech & Rigdon/Griswold & Gunnison (essentially an 1851 without rollmarking). I *think* the first two are recent - bought from Taylor's. The Leech I found at DGW - it's older, is all I can say (they don't make them anymore).

I recently replaced them all with Tresos. It's the best improvement I've made. The stock nipples were horribly inconsistent in about every possible way, from thread tolerance to cone height to cone diameter to cone taper. They don't even look like they were made by the same company (and I think Mykeal has suggested in the past that they might be farmed out).

I can say that each gun or cylinder had fairly matching nipples, but they were not necessarily much like those on any of the other guns.

My Walker's nipples were so small that CCI 10s were the only caps I could find that wouldn't fall off - even with pinching. OTOH, the Walker was the only one that I could even get CCI 10s on in the first place - they're much too small for all the others.

Now I have guns that fit Remington 10s perfectly. RWS 1075s work well too, although they're far more self-destructive.

$25 for a set of Tresos is one of the best investments a fellow could make, IMO.

Page generated in 0.02105 seconds with 8 queries