View Single Post
Old September 4, 2013, 07:12 PM   #8
martinga111

Taurus 85 Trigger Issues

I know this is an old thread, but it was useful to me and I wanted to share my tail of woe in regards to Taurus triggers. I decided to do a trigger job on my wife's Taurus model 85 blue steel 2" 38 special. When I pulled the cover off I noticed that the trigger spring center pin was a little bent, but at the time I wasn't sure that wasn't designed that way. The schematic in the manual was not that clear. I also didn't know the easy way to re-install that spring and pin and as a result, it snapped in 2 right at the bottom of the stem. Needless to say I was freaking out, because my wife and I are taking our CWP class this weekend and she wants to use that gun for the shooting test. Fortunately, I have a Model 85 Protector Poly that I don't use much and thought maybe I can swap the pin from that one, then I can buy a replacement pin on the internet and restore the poly 85. Well it turns out that Taurus no longer sells parts to anyone. I'm sure this isn't news to this forum. Numrich listed several center pins, but all were sold out and the only way they would be restocked is if they bought some from some gunsmith fire sale or some such. So I decided to see if Taurus would send me the part or even sell it to me. No way said the Taurus CS rep. "We don't distribute any parts outside Taurus anymore". She said I would have to send it in for repair since trigger parts were restricted items (I think everything mist be restricted). I said I would rather buy it from Numrich and and install it myself. She said that would void my warranty and since I went beyond field stripping to discover this, I had already voided my warranty. I suppose I could have just sent it to them for paid repair, but I've had bad luck sending in repairs to Taurus, which I'll save for a later posting. The good news is that the pin from the 85 poly fit the blue steel gun and the trigger job vastly improved the trigger pull, so my marriage is in good shape now. The other good news is that I found a gunsmith that will make me a pin for $40 and that is still cheaper than the cost of mailing the gun to Taurus for a repair I was likely going to have to pay for. I hate to say it, but because of this restrictive policy on parts and mods, I will probably not buy another Taurus firearm. That is a shame, since I really liked their Model 992, but no matter, I can't find one anywhere.

Page generated in 0.02649 seconds with 8 queries