View Single Post
Old April 16, 2013, 12:42 AM   #9
trg42wraglefragle

Opps made a bit of a mistake with the Hornet vs 17WSM, Hornet will shoot a 20gr bullet at 3650fps vs 3000fps from 17WSM, which certainly is better, but not as big a gap as against 17hmr (not that you were considering, but it was mentioned).

But With some research I did find out 17hmr ammo will cost you about $12-14 a box of 50, and 17WSM is about $14-15, which the claim it will be the same price may hold up true to my suprise.
And factory Hornady ammo for the 17 Hornet is about $18-20 for a box of 25.

To reload 17 Hornet can be done for around 27cents a round from my research, using Hornady brass and assuming a case life of 10 shots, and also middle of the range bullets, its now $6.75 for 25 or $13.50 for 50, but with the added task of reloading, some people have trouble reloading such a small round also.
But 204 Ruger can be reloaded for about 29cents a round based on research using middle of the range brass and bullets (similar to that used by the Hornet).

If you are wanting something for varmints, that's not to loud and very low on recoil then the 17 Hornet will do you well, but the 17WSM (if you can get it) wont be too far behind and at under half the price per shot.

Or if noise isn't a major factor (recoil will be more but still very mild) the 204 Ruger can give you much more flexibility in what you shoot and a much better round for very little more.

Just giving you other options/things to think about.

Page generated in 0.03164 seconds with 8 queries