View Single Post
Old March 4, 2009, 12:01 PM   #12
carguychris

Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Lee-Enfields were designed in such a way that headspacing issues could be easily remedied by replacing the bolt head with one of a slightly different size. If memory serves, differing sizes were numbered 1-5...
You're basically correct, except there are 6 sizes, #0 through #5 inclusive. Each size is nominally 0.003" longer. The bolt head on a Lee-Enfield is normally marked with the size.

The trouble is twofold. First, many milsurp L-Es (including my No.4 MkI) have been fired many thousands of times and are already wearing a #3. Second, #4 and #5 bolt heads are made of Unobtanium, a rare element also used in vintage Italian car bumpers and prewar American car trim pieces. This lack of availability has prompted some Australian and Canadian L-E enthusiasts to weld up smaller-size bolt heads and then mill them down, but you'll need considerable machining skill to do this properly.
Quote:
The bolt face screws right out of the bolt. I could blow on it and it will begin to unscrew no exaderation.
If it's not this easy to turn the bolt head, something is seriously wrong. It's supposed to turn when you close the bolt. FWIW the threads are supposed to have enough axial play that the bolt head bottoms out against the bolt face when the bolt is in firing position.

Page generated in 0.02607 seconds with 8 queries