View Single Post
Old June 19, 2006, 09:28 AM   #10
HorseSoldier

Quote:
What suprises me is not that they`re making modern day big bores but that they`re not making the most obvious one! Take a .308 case and blow the neck out to .458",stuff it with 300gr. Barnes HPs and shoot them in converted FALs,G3s,M1As,AR10s etc. Ballistics could be hotter than .458 Socom at even lower pressures due to the larger case volume and it could headspace on the case mouth like the .50 Beowulf.
The AR-15 was, I think, the initial focus for this sort of stuff because of its modularity as well as it's widespread use and such. An FAL would be a bit more of a pain to convert (not so much on the mechanical side, as you could replace the upper just like an AR, but more on the legal side, since you could not just order a big bore FAL upper receiver in the mail, since the upper is the ATF restricted component on that weapon) . . . but perhaps the AR-10 is starting to play catch up with the AR-15 in terms of modularity.

At the Teppo Jutsu website (same guys who developed the .458 SOCOM) check out the ".500 Phantom" in their products section.

That said, I like your idea about .458 conversions of .308 rounds -- seems like an idea that is so sensical and relatively painless that someone should be doing it . . .

Page generated in 0.02887 seconds with 8 queries