View Single Post
Old May 19, 2012, 07:35 AM   #1
spaniel

Your take on this CCW encounter?

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/31084756/detail.html

I'm interested what other CCWers think of this encounter. Having been on both sides (driver encountering cyclist and cyclist/runner) I can wear both hats. While I've been enraged by more than a few drivers when cycling/running when they did deliberate things to endanger my safety in retaliation for having the nerve to be on the road sans car, I can see no way this was a justified discharge.

In 20 years dealing with idiot drivers, the singular case I can recall where shooting MAY have been justified was when a driver took two deliberate passes at me with their car (ie came off onto the shoulder at me once, turned around, crossed traffic and took another run at me). Even then since I was able to retreat into a ditch I can't imagine I would have taken on the headache of using a firearm and potentially getting hauled into jail/court.

Some cyclists are jerks....it's hard to tell who was in the right at the very beginning of this....but it seems the driver was a jerk for "brake-checking" in front of the cyclist (road bikes don't stop nearly as quickly as cars, that could have set up a dangerous situation for the cyclist and it appears he did this on purpose), and the cyclist is a bigger idiot for over-reacting.

Page generated in 0.02224 seconds with 8 queries