Thread: .243 Win on Elk
View Single Post
Old October 25, 2011, 11:18 AM   #41
briandg

I actually like the .243 in a rifle for small whitetail. You will get a through and through shot with a chest shot and controlled expansion bullets. Shooting a 30-06 with factory bullets will do a lot of damage, and still probably blow through on a rib cage shot.

The 6mm and light 25 caliber rounds will definitely drop a deer with a rib shot, and with a partition or other controlled expansion round, will probably blow through. That's what I'm looking for, is penetration deep enough to mortally wound, and if it will get full penetration on the ribs, it probably will through most other angles.

Some people I've heard of use the nosler or other solid base polymer, for a bigger temp cavity and bigger initial wound. I don't see it that way. Sure, it will collapse the lungs.

Around here, even though we have mostly modest sized deer, I don't know very many people who actually take a 6mm or 25 caliber weapon for deer. I've carried my 30-06 the last few times I went after deer, mostly for sentimental reasons, though. I think that using the 180 grain that my dad used to use is unnecessary, but whatever. it will do the job well. There is no such thing as overkill, all you got is dead and not dead.

Page generated in 0.03094 seconds with 8 queries