View Single Post
Old December 29, 2009, 10:52 PM   #83
Don Randall

I said that you are assuming your understanding of the language and terminology of 1699 as superior to that of Andrew Fletcher, a brilliant political thinker and Parliamentarian, to which you replied:

Quote:
No, I use other sources that differ from his view. I think you should also look at other sources not just those you like.
Oh... Okay. I am certainly willing to look at other authoritative sources that shine a new light on things. I have not been around here much in recent years, so it appears that I have missed your references to the writings of other contemporaneous commentators of that time and their discussions of the meaning of the term "well regulated militia" and it's commonly understood meaning in the 17th and 18th centuries in Britain and America.

Please be kind enough to tell me which 17th and 18th century commentators are known to have used the term "well regulated militia" in a manner that disagrees with that meaning used by the Parliamentarian Andrew Fletcher in his influential historic treatise. That would interest me greatly and I would be most appreciative of the opportunity to learn.

Page generated in 0.02327 seconds with 8 queries