Thread: H&R Handi-rifle
View Single Post
Old February 4, 2013, 12:40 PM   #20
PawPaw

Some folks don't like the little rifles, and that's okay. With proper load development, they shoot just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveNChunter
Im hearing more and more on here and looking at other forums how these guns are picky about how they sit on a rest, and also that they are ammo picky. May go with the Ruger American as there really isnt a big price difference
That's a perfectly valid comparison. A bolt gun might suit you better than the Handi rifle. I like my bolt guns, too. I got into Handi rifles when Louisiana started allowing them for what they call the Primitive Weapon season for deer. I had been using a muzzle-loader and had good luck with it, but centerfire cartridges are so much more convenient.

I bought my first one in .45-70 and for about a year when I'd go into the local pawn shop it seemed that they'd have another Handi coming off pawn. I use mine as beating-around guns, grandkid guns, and teaching tools. With a neophyte shooter, it's awfully safe to give them one round off ammo at a time.

Before long, I had quite a stable of the little rifles, so I wrote a brief review of the guns over at the Castbullet.com site.

But, if a bolt gun suits your needs, by all means, get a bolt gun. There are lots of those on the pawn shop racks, too, and I still pick up the occasional rifle if the price is right and it is in a caliber that I can use.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.03763 seconds with 8 queries