View Single Post
Old March 25, 2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Doc Intrepid

I've carried Federal Hydra-Shok in my .45s for years. I believe in the round, and have shot them in all sorts of environments.

But I am not an expert.

A guy who I consider to be an expert extols the virtue of carrying high-quality ball ammo for self defense. Here is his quote:

CLINT SMITH ON THE 1911 --
“The 1911 remains popular because it’s an efficient tool. In more than 30 years of experience, I’ve met more competent, serious gunmen who carry 1911’s than those who pack any other handgun. They are professionals – policemen, government agents and others who carry handguns daily because the know their live may depend on it…Me? I’ve carried a 1911 every single day for the past 20 years. It’s a very comforting gun to have at your hip. It offers a good, consistent single-action trigger pull and is wonderfully dependable. Because the 1911 is basically a defensive handgun, I’m not concerned about tight groups. I don’t bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesn’t have to expand to be effective.” From Guns and Ammo, September, 2001.

See what works best in your own pistol, under nearly any circumstance you can imagine. Carry that.

Page generated in 0.02889 seconds with 8 queries