View Single Post
Old September 28, 2010, 02:26 PM   #13
BigJimP

Changing chokes vs not changing chokes ....

There are a few guys at my gun club - that have great vision, good reflexes, guns that really fit them - and a lot of talent ....and I've seen them shoot Skeet with an Improved Modified choke ....and they shoot pretty well - 22's, 23's .... but station 8 often bites them. Now they do it - partly to "wow the crowd" ...impress the newbies, etc ....or maybe because they just don't like to change the chokes. They are way better shooters than I am...and they can do what they want ...and if it works for them, ok -

Does it make them better --- I don't think so because to change your lead or fine tune your lead to shoot a 15" pattern vs a 30" pattern will really screw you up ....if you're serious about shooting Skeet. Its almost equivalent to shooting a .410 in a 12ga event ....and you can do that....but for most of us mere mortals --- that would give your competitors a significant advantage. I'd rather shoot a 12ga, in a 12ga event, with a
30" pattern ---and take my chances head to head.

Very good shooters can do a number of things that most of us can't do ... like shooting a 20ga in a 12ga event ....and they do it very well. While I understand shooting 7/8 oz loads ( 20ga ) can be good for any number of reasons - the gun really fits, less recoil if things are equal, one gun in 12ga and 20ga events ....

But to me it makes no sense to give up half my pattern by over-choking the gun I choose to shoot. If I wanted to shoot a tighter pattern on a Skeet field - I can see going to IC chokes vs Skeet ....but not tighter than that - unless I just want to frustrate myself ....

So at least drop down to a pair of Mod's or IC's in that new Citori. On any O/U, I always fire the lower barrel first ....puts the first shell more on the center line of the gun, less muzzle rise, etc ...

Page generated in 0.03718 seconds with 8 queries