View Single Post
Old April 14, 2009, 10:16 PM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofaba
I think we need to push for a Federal Concealed Carry Permit which allows you to carry in every state, ...
We may travel from State to State, without having any other drivers license because the States themselves arranged for reciprocity agreements.

The Feds had nothing whatsoever to do with it. Why? There is nothing within the constitution that gives the Feds any such police power. Not even the Interstate Commerce Clause works at this level. Don't confuse individual licensing with commercial licensing... That the Feds can and do regulate.

So it is with concealed carry permits. Individual reciprocity agreements between the States are at work, in exactly the same manner. Yet, because it is guns and not automobiles, there are and will be differences.
Quote:
I think that we need to embrace some regulation.
What more regulation do we need? Firearms are already heavily regulated by both the Feds and the States (and in many States, the local city and/or county).
Quote:
I don't understand why some states have open carry free of legislation but those same states make you jump through hoops and pay high fees to conceal carry.
Which States are you talking about? I know it isn't Idaho, Montana, Wyoming or Arizona. We are open carry States and we have some of the most lenient concealed carry laws there are (Vermont and Alaska excepted).

As for actually answering your question, I can't. Not without a long dissertation on why and how concealed firearms were met first with public derision, then with legislative and judicial disdain. It's a history of highwaymen; Duels; Gamblers and such.

Given that the Bad Guys still carry concealed, it's no wonder that the States want to make sure you are in fact a law abiding citizen before they issue you your permit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttle8
I read it yesterday and to be honest I was a bit gunshy to respond since it felt like it had political overtones to it.
Absolutely it is political. But it is calling for activism, which is perhaps the only real political thread that can survive in this forum (See my notes in this sticky).

I may have more comments, later on.

Page generated in 0.03339 seconds with 8 queries