View Single Post
Old April 6, 2009, 09:50 AM   #14
Doc Hoy

Cap'n

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I am familiar with Split Rock Lodge but that ended when I left PA to join the Navy in 1969. Haven't been back since but just to visit.

As I said in my previous post I was severly dissappointed in the show here (Norfolk, VA). Now you have to understand that I went on Saturday about 1:00 pm and I know that the prices come down as the show draws to a close.

There was very little in the way of black powder stuff. But here is a synopsis.

1858 Remington from Euroarms. Steel frame. Heavy rust inside the chambers and barrel. Action and lockup were tight. The cylinder appeared to have been cleaned with something caustic that ruined the bluing. Starting price was 150.00 He came down to 125.00. I told him I was interested but not at that price, and he ended the conversation.

1851 pattern Colt Pietta in .44. Brass frame. Same pistol Cabela's is selling for 149.99. Exterior of the pistol was pristine. This is the guy who told me the pistol was new with a box and papers. Chambers all had very heavy rust as did the barrel. He started at 265.00. I did not even go any further. I knew he was lying about it being new.

Another guy had three rifles which were essentially junk. Bore shot, missing parts, broken stock. He had a hundred dollar price tag on the one which was in the worst condition. Told me to make an offer but I am not in the market for a rifle so I would not have taken it home even if it was free.

1860 Colt heavily inlaid in gold fill. This was a pretty pistol with a presentation case, flask, mold and such. It was very nice and was new but it was one I would never shoot. (Too nice). He wanted 375.00.

Taylors was there with a great selection of Ubertis. Since the only thing I am presently looking for is an 1860, I spoke to them about a steel frame new in box. They can down to 255.00 but I let it go. I should have gone back on Sunday to see if the price got any better. But my honeydo list took presidence. I didn't even get out to go shooting.

Page generated in 0.03566 seconds with 8 queries