View Single Post
Old January 15, 2009, 01:03 AM   #126
BillCA

One comment I have not seen WRT guns on campus pertains partially to dorm life and the attitudes of some college-age students.

Presuming a college student who can legally possess a handgun and who has his CCW, I think most would understand that it would be all too easy to have their CCW revoked for being drunk or engaging in stupid horseplay.

But not so those "other" students, especially many of those who enjoy attempting to belittle others or perhaps have little respect for others.

An example was a classmate in college. Dan was about 24 y/o, only about 5'7" and walked with a limp. During a dorm party that spilled into his room, some jock dork pawed through Dan's desk and found a box. When Dan arrived this 6'2" donkey had pinned Dan's medals to his crotch and was shouting "Whooee! I'm a war heeero! Kiss my medals girls!" The medals were a purple heart and a silver star. Dan demanded them back and was asked how many babies he killed to get the medals.[1] ... one can imagine a similar scene where a handgun is found instead of service medals.

I know most campuses prohibit alcohol in dorms and frat houses, yet it seems the policing of these rules is very lax. Somehow the presence of an empty shell casing can trigger a warrantless search of several dorm rooms, yet the presence of multiple Jose Cuervo shot glasses or t-shirts does not. I guess this is because administrators consider getting sloppy drunk part of the "college experience".

[1]Dan did get his medals back. He was challeged to take them, so he broke both the jock's collarbones. On his way out he stepped on the jerk's crotch for good measure. Dan's silver star came from being a Vietnam POW for two years as part of the USMC's Force Recon.

Page generated in 0.03546 seconds with 8 queries