View Single Post
Old August 15, 2010, 10:06 PM   #24
Wolfeye

I'm in the "it depends where you live" crowd. My opinion is that .357/.38 is the perfect caliber for most of the lower 48; by simply changing the ammo you can use it for deer hunting, small game hunting (using headshots), animal protection, concealed carry, or as a duty gun. .357 magnum also has the best 1-shot stopping record, at least according to the charts I've seen online.

I grew up in SE Alaska, and I'd say that .44 magnum is definitely the sidearm caliber of choice around there, at least for open carry. It can do just about everything the .357 can but it has more oomph for animal protection. The cost is that you end up carrying a larger, heavier gun.

I now live in the lower 48, and I now prefer .357 magnum. If I still lived in Alaska, I'd sell it for a .44. The concept of "one gun" isn't sold on me, though; I like having one full-sized one for the trail & range, and a smaller one for daily carry. I like their calibers to complement each other, i.e., my CCW is in .38 and my trail gun is in .357.

Page generated in 0.03311 seconds with 8 queries