View Single Post
Old September 28, 2013, 07:10 PM   #41

Well, there's velocity, then there's velocity. There's accuracy, and then there's accuracy. Try to get a large dose of both at the same time and the powder choices start shrinking. For very high velocity or +P loads, Silhouette is as good as it gets while True Blue and 3N37 get honorable mention, and I've tried most of them for loads up to +P except that I never attempted +P with Power Pistol for several reasons. One being that it didn't produce its best accuracy with the warmest charges and because it's a derivative of Bullseye, I never had much confidence in it's pressure stability. Second, there's not much point in building +P type loads for punching paper except as a practice round for those who consistently carry +P ammo in their defense pistols. And, because Power Pistol and Blue Dot will both make your pistol look like a flamethrower when fired at night.

Now Clark will tell you that he has overloaded 9mm with Power Pistol into the stratosphere, but reality is reality. Power Pistol sees no use for loading 9mm Major in IPSC. Again, there's something to be learned from the guys who would consider +P as pretty much Ho-Hum compared to 9mm Major. Pressure stability is as much a requirement as the velocities obtained. If velocity were all there were to it, I'd still be using Blue Dot where I've had 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50' from my P-226 with a charge you're not gonna find in today's data. That same load also produces about an 18" fireball and I'm probably being generous.

Quote:
Ramshot Silhouette. I also get very good accuracy from IMR SR4756.
Sound reasoning and even though I don't use Flake powders anymore, SR 4756 is one I would use. It's a single based powder and can be quite uniform and provide great accuracy. But the first recommendation is still the best one!

Page generated in 0.03440 seconds with 8 queries