View Single Post
Old April 18, 2012, 07:33 AM   #4
zoomie

Quote:
On the right side of the reticle, above and below the horizontal lines their are some listed correction factors for "fine line" widths and "center square aperture" at different magnifications.
Ah... Ok. I think I figured out the confusion.

In a SFP scope, the reticle is meant to be used on one power and one power only. It can be used on others, but you have to use ratios to determine subtension.

The two blocks of text about "ALL FINE LINES" and "CENTER APERTURE" give information for multiple scopes. Leupold uses different reticles in different scopes to keep the lines from being too thin or too heavy. (You'll see that phenomena in your own scope... on low power you'll have a thin reticle. On higher power, you'll have a thicker reticle.) They space the features the same distance apart on all scopes, so those measurements do not have the multiple listings like the fine lines and center do.

If you had a SFP 2-8x set on 8x, the fine lines would be .06 and the center would be .18. If you had a SFP 3.5-14x set on 14x, the fine lines would be .04 and center would be .1. And down the line.

As you have a 20x, I expect that your center is always .07x.07. Your fine lines are always .03 MIL. Because you have a FFP, it will not change with power changes.

Quote:
To me, I would think that if the fine line changes the mil value why wouldn't any other widths and heights of mil lines change. I talked to the factory and they said it's just the fine lines and center square aperture.
I think there's some mixed up communication. The only way part of the reticle could change while the rest does not is with a dual plane reticle, and to my knowledge, Leupold isn't running those.

Last edited by zoomie; April 18, 2012 at 07:54 AM.

Page generated in 0.04020 seconds with 8 queries