View Single Post
Old June 16, 2013, 05:36 AM   #10
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I wouldn't depend on any jacketed bullet for bear protection. A good 300gr LBT from Cast Performance, Beartooth, Leadheads, Oregon Trail, etc. is a much better option. I'd probably go a little heavier to 320-330gr.
I followed the discussion going on in the 460S&W vs.... thread and have been reading the linked article by J. Linebaugh. I notice that he stated that the ideal bullet weights for .44 Mag were anything from the 240gr-300gr, 320 at a push. Would your suggested 330gr not now be venturing into that range of diminishing returns for increasing pressure he advised avoiding?

I ask this because I have also been trying to devise a load against anything up to bear. At present I have a hot 240gr load, using a jacketed bullet, albeit with a sharp meplat edge. I recently asked which bullet to choose in a thread wyoredman answered linking this discussion. I personally opted for a 275gr Cast Performance LFN bullet, on account of running a 4.2" barrel... I hope to get 1200fps out of it, or there abouts.

N.B. I refer to my choice of bullet to explain my interest in the quoted comment above, not to hijack this thread. My own thread is still open if anyone wants to review that discussion.

Page generated in 0.02339 seconds with 8 queries