View Single Post
Old January 4, 2011, 12:09 PM   #1
KLRANGL

Duty to inform and your right to not self incriminate

Has there been any legal study or court case regarding "duty to inform" laws and their infringement on your right to not self incriminate?

Was visiting a friend who lived literally right next to Duke University in North Carolina. NC law makes it a misdemeanor to even have an unloaded gun in your car on university property (felony if you attend or work for the school). I really wanted to CC while there, since some of it isn't the best area in the world, but I was too afraid of taking a wrong turn in an area that I did not know and end up on campus property. So I ended up not carrying (good thing, since I ended up on campus property while I was there by accident).
Many of us can admit (to ourselves) to accidentally ending up in a place that forbids carry. If you find yourself in that situation, and upon leaving the area you get approached or pulled over by a police officer, in a duty to inform state are you not then legally required to self incriminate by stating that you are carrying while in a location that does not permit carry? We all have the responsibility to follow the law to the letter, but people are fallible and accidents can happen.
Thoughts?

Page generated in 0.02307 seconds with 8 queries