View Single Post
Old August 25, 2005, 05:22 PM   #1
bugmantrap

chronic wasting disease

Looking for info on CWD. The State of New York had found CWD in two captive herds in Onieda County. Seems they were ranching for profit in venison and the wildlife dept also brought in abandoned fawns to be raised and released into the wild if possible. One rancher gave another one a couple of deer, as I understand it, that infected his herd also. The infection was discovered in testing done by the State . It was then decided to cull as many deer as possible arouind the farm and through out the county in attemps to find how wide spread the disease had gotten. They found two wild deer infected. Both I believe were near the ranches and could possibly have been released deer raised from wild fawns.
The end results so far from this is my State of massachusettes and the state of Vt. have instituded a ban on the importation of deer taken anywhere in the state of Ny. If you kill a deer in NY the animal must be processed in NY. The meat deboned, the skull cap cleaned of membrane and hair I don't know if it has to be packaged. My crew hunts on the tri state area of western mass,southern Vt and eastern Ny. At any time, the season is open in two states at once, like Vt NY or NY Ma
The deer I kill in Vt at 7am was in Ny at 7pm the previous day. I'm sure you get the drift. Any ways, I know it has been a problem in the west and mid-west and hope some of you guys will respond.

Page generated in 0.03895 seconds with 8 queries