View Single Post
Old March 16, 2013, 08:34 AM   #29
Bart B.

PA Joe asks:
Quote:
Are you using the same brand of dies and shellholders? Each manufacturer uses a slightly different bench height on their shellholder. An easy solution would be to sand a little off the top of the shellholder.
Good question.

I've found no more than a .0015" spread across 3 or 4 makes of standard shell holder heights. That's well within reasonable tolerances.

In a conversation with an RCBS rep some years ago, he said the industry standard for rimless bottleneck case full length sizing dies is about +/- .002".

All of which to me means the spread across case headspace on such cases when the die's set to touch the shell holder with the press ram at its peak will be between .005" and .006".

But like barrel chambers and new brass headspace, there's sometimes over or under size die sizing chambers and shell holder heights.

All of which, for those wanting close tolerances on what they do, a case headspace measuring gauge is essential. And something to accurately measure the change in die height in the press.

One guy I knew years ago, before such gauges were made, measured his full length sizing die setting in the press with a depth micrometer or caliper measuring the height of the die top to either the lock ring on the die or the steel bushing flat that the die screwed into. 'Twas easy and cheap to make a .0043" change if that's what was needed.

Page generated in 0.02507 seconds with 8 queries