View Single Post
Old November 23, 2011, 10:01 PM   #21
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
It isn't out of the question for killers to call 911 and report incidents in the hopes of doing so will help make it look like they are the victims when they were not.
I once got a good piece of self-defense from a former LEO and instructor: if you ever have to draw your gun, be the first one to call the police.

I once did, following a fender bender with an aggressive drunk. He threatened me (tire iron in hand) when I said I wanted to file a police report, then fled the scene when he learned I had a weapon. I phoned the police immediately and told them what happened. Good thing, too, since he called the following morning and claimed that he was sober, but that he'd left the scene of the accident because I was ranting and waving a gun around.

He attempted to use that defense at trial, and there was great hilarity.

The underlying lesson is that lethal force is a big deal, even when not deployed. You want to take every measure to make sure the police have a clear depiction of your side of the story. I'm not saying not to wait for a lawyer, but a proper statement should be given as soon as possible.

I can't see any reason for Gonzalez' lawyer to advise him to keep quiet straight through the entire trial unless there was some serious doubt as to his self-defense defense.

Not all gun owners are responsible people, and not all are good people. Sorry. It happens. Reading into the Gonzalez situation (and his prior history does suggest a confrontational streak), it's very possible he jumped the gun.

Page generated in 0.02903 seconds with 8 queries