View Single Post
Old November 15, 2005, 11:17 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

Harry,

Yes. Nothing more satisfying than working with your hands. The word [I]manufacture[/] literally means "hand fabrication" which we colloquialize as "made by hand", though what is called manufacturing today has as little to do with that as possible. I've also taken great pleasure in reading the late David Gingery's books on how he built a machine shop from scratch, starting with the metal foundry. Reading them got me interested in scraping and the geometry of making flat surfaces and true right angles and parallels without any modern measuring tools. A fascinating business and rewarding activity in that it connects you with your ancestors in a curious way.

Your mention of Mr. Taylor's name sounded familiar. I live in Ohio. I think my father may have taken a class of his 15 or 20 years ago? It was someone teaching the hand making of muzzle loaders. I recall dad mentioned the method of drawing a spring to temper was, after the quench, to light the oil it was quenched in and let that burn out. I'll ask pop about it. At 84 he is still actively shooting.

Nick

Page generated in 0.03346 seconds with 8 queries